Friday, February 09, 2024

Stone Soup Croutons, 2-7-24: Fundamentals


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
Jamilla VanDyke-Bailey did an amazing job as this week's feature. As with last week, the feature started off the night with the open mic following. I didn't want to try to write in the voice of a woman, so I encourage you to listen to Jamilla's set and buy her book the womxn to get that full experience. 
 
I did get my title from James Van Looy, just like last week. Maybe that's what happens from now on when the features starts first.
 
No idea what I have here. Have to get back to work. Thanks for reading.
 

Fundamentals

Remember we create
everything that hates us.
 
Partners depart, their 
bodies left for us to clean.
 
Those most disappointed
in us become life coaches,
 
just as surprised if we fail,
succeed, or take up mariachi.
 
Read our fairy tale fanfic
to ourselves before bedtime.
 
At next wedding, dance fast,
get off floor before flood comes.
 


Special thanks to Jon Wesick, Jen Johnson, Jan Rowe, Richard Spisak, Robert Fleming, Ethan Mackler, James Van Looy and special feature Jamilla VanDyke Bailey.

 

No comments: