Thursday, December 31, 2020

Things I'm Disappointed About in 2020: Oddball Magazine

Let me just say that I have no complaints about the legions of contributors for Oddball Magazine, week in and week out. I'll go on record and say that I have worked hard to ensure that we have the most diverse voices possible. 

Our roster and contributors have organically evolved over the years. So much so that we are a stronger publication than in recent years. I've gotten comments on how I was able to get the jump on other literary journals regarding the pandemic and the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I remain proud of that today.

And yet, I feel like I could have done so much better.

In my struggle to get more work published (and do it in a timely fashion), I let other contributors fall by the wayside. There were other people I wanted to include who I just couldn't get around to contacting. 

I moved fast with a lot of things this year in terms of my personal, professional and creative work. It's only inevitable something got dropped. I feel the worst about Oddball.

It didn't help that my usual work habits got thrown topsy turvy by the pandemic. Hopefully, with a quieter end of the year and a hopefully beginning to the new year, I will be able to finally course correct and bring a lot of people back as we move forward to a unknown world.

Thanks again to everyone who read the journal this year. I tried my best every week and often felt like I came up short. If something I featured gave you enjoyment or got you engaged, then I feel a little less bad.


No comments: