Friday, July 22, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 7-20-22: This is Fine


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.


It's been hot. Even though I work in an air conditioned place (that's less for me and more for the equipment I work with), I've till felt the heat this week. I've seen and heard how it affected others. James Van Looy and Jan Rowe had to bow out of the open mic because they spent the day handing out watermelon and lemonade to people. 

I was dealing with other issues that week and hadn't set up a Zoom meeting. On Wednesday, I asked people if they would take a late open mic at eight. I set it up at seven, and a few showed up. I think It's the shortest open mic we have on record. It was fun to do a short poem.

I'm out of the offices, any office, for most of the day taking care of personal business. I'll be back to work on setting up Stone Soup before you know it. Thanks for reading.
 

This is Fine

Summer heatwave.
Bare feet tap dance  
over hot thirsty earth.

Last drive-in cancelled.
Instead main attraction
is our sky on fire. 

Look on bright side.
Enough light to guide us 
back to burning homes.

Above, burning world
looks like rose. Mutual
destruction is pretty.

Nothing left to share 
but pox covered hearts.
We still call this joy. 

Own termination 
as species warrants
a countdown party.

Heavy metal in burning 
clubs. Earth shakes dead 
loose. Armageddon trifecta.


Special thanks to Nancy Dodson, Ed Gault and Julianne Powers. 
 

No comments: