Friday, November 18, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 11-16-22: A Musky Holiday


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Wednesday was the open mic that almost didn't happen. I accidentally wrote that it was happening on November 19 instead of November 16. Thankfully, my regulars are used to my screwups, and most of them showed up.

This started as a post-election poem, but as I sat on this poem, not finishing a rough draft on paper until this morning, it seemed to turn into something else inspired by recent news. An interesting evolution, if only to me. 

Gotta go. More work to start and hopefully finish. I look forward to planning out the next few weeks of Stone Soup. And getting the dates right. Thanks for reading.


A Musky Holiday

Post-poll coal will rain on all.
The ever-uphill winter walk
boasted by parents is matched
by radicals' strategy to knock on
the elite's wall with own heads.
Everyone gets a pony to shorten
time between each impact. Planes
overhead informs us bombing
began five minutes ago. Sun 
turns away not wanting to view
world's own cleansing. All
that is gold is not necessarily
blood money, but it helps. Luck
of the wealthy keeps you warm,
hunger hidden, rats from own
garbage spread among people,
narcissist social workers tired 
of asking starving baby how 
it feels, like watching cats run
bases. Binary code dances pink
elephant dance while you wait 
for guardian angel to join remote
call to pep talk waiting masses. 


Special thanks to Julie Marie Hoey, Robert Fleming, Julianne Powers, Nancy Dodson, Ed Gault, Bil Lewis, Jan Rowe, Patricia Carragon, Jon Wesick, Ethan Mackler, James Van Looy and Denice Garcia Benders.

No comments: