Friday, January 06, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 1-4-23: This is New, I Suppose


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 

Then I went to the dentist. Now I'm recovering. From the fact that I referenced Santa Claus yet again! 

At least I got to the new year with this poem. Barely. At least I'm getting warmed up for next week's in-person feature David P. Miller. Thanks for reading.


This is New, I Suppose

Somewhere in Italy,
statue of David 
in child's pose,

wants to submit 
while other idols
are topled.

Joy a slow train
coming. We swear
it's never late. 

Memorial for girl,
didn't finish work,
missed Santa.

2023 enters, 
no time to wash 
hand-me-downs,

dirty from those
who had names
turned to Mud,

similar stories
lost in shift
of wet earth,

smeared on beds
in hotels cleaned 
by humming help.

Bucket list not
avant-garde enough
to warrant read,

barely enough
energy to plod
like power plant,

lacking wild growth
to make sample
dandelion wine.

Are you warrior
in trenches, or 
just in squalor

trying to teach
roaches how to
give milk.

You refuse to 
move along
with the Earth,

waiting to die
from inhaling
family asbestos. 

In hero myth 
mind, soundtrack
slaps, your nonsense

moves mountains,
laughter drowns
any liar in room,

and jacks always
beat queens, repel
latest zombie hoards.


Special thanks to Robert Fleming, Nancy Dodson, Julianne Powers, Ed Gault, Bil Lewis, Jon Wesick, Jan Rowe, Ethan Mackler, Carol Weston, C.C. Arshagra and James Van Looy.

No comments: