Friday, April 28, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 4-26-23: It's Time


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
Wednesday night was the last night at the Assemblage Gallery. For now? Forever? I can't say. I'm glad Bil Lewis was the one to close out this era a second time. 
 
I'm glad Bil has a video of the event.  I  haven't posted as much documentation of Stone Soup's time at the gallery. Either time, actually, since we were there from September 2019 to February 20202 the first time around. I'm still sitting on video and pictures that need to be posted. Maybe for May...

This week's poem is a bit of a cheat. (aren't' they all?) I didn't take many notes and am relying on the photography of the gallery to help me take this poem home. Glad I have these poems to store certain emotions and impressions. In this case, not even gentrified locations being safe from their own gentrification. 

It's a new era, I guess. Thanks for reading.
 

It's Time
 
Non disclosures signed
as bookstores and other
 
curio shops are razed to
plant Earth Day memorials.

We need sleep, but last 
street mimes keep pulling

at buildings, hoping they
topple false idles onto us.

Helicopters hum us into
half sleep, coupled with

laughter at somebody's 
expense, probably ours. 

Someone swears a jet soars
overhead. Time to pray we
 
have been on these streets
long enough that our atoms
 
are ensconced in the stone
and glom onto anyone who 
 
escapes, collective DNA
ingrained in their future glories.
 
 
Bil emoting under a cityscape shot.

 
We were there.

Special thanks to Jan Rowe, Nancy Dodson, Ed Gault, Carol Weston, James Van Looy and Bil Lewis.

No comments: