Friday, April 07, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 4-5-23: You Call it Bachelor Life for Dignity's Sake


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
Karen Friedland featured on Wednesday. It was a unique experience. You don't think of setting much with Zoom, but due to an accident preventing my girlfriend and I from getting home, we at at The Real Deal at in Jamaica Plain before walking over to JP Licks.

Whoever thought an ice cream shop/café would get rowdy after dark? That's why the video of the event gets garbled with background noise whenever I speak. I appreciate everyone's patience. I am grateful to Robert Fleming for introducing Karen, and I am doubly grateful to Karen for living up to everyone's high expectations.

This week's poem appears to be a sequel to the more-than-slightly autobiographical poem from last week. Maybe it's because I was smack dab in the middle of Jamaica Plain Centre Street, the setting for some of my most difficult and rewarding years (also related to cancer, having lost my father, grandfather not longer after I moved there). I appreciate Karen's work for giving me the perspective to end the poem properly.

Thanks for reading.
 

You Call it Bachelor Life for Dignity's Sake
 
Another midday morning
when you deduce the value
of your life by taking the age
of your antique one bedroom
and divide it by the weight
of your midnight clarity 
and guilt, become your own
ball and chain that comes 
with you into cafés, reminds
you there's nowhere to go 
but home. Would you be 
better off waiting for a head
shot in a school hallway
than sitting here hoping for
a person to not repel back
to sidewalk? At least the geese
get along with you outside. 
Must be mutual Canadian 
roots. April is here, god help
your chartreuse colored soul.
You need to find a friend or
family member with a dog that
would call you uncle if it could
speak. Search for someone 
allowed post-life to tread
the same roads they were sad
to see go once the chemo hit.
Their spectral retread a reward
for learning how to be grateful
again. Find them so they can
slap you, tell you to get with it.


Grease stained sheet. Forgot Carol Weston's name!

Special thanks to David Miller, Annette Tarpley, Nancy Dodson, karen Lee Ramos, Ed Gault, Jan Rowe, Bil Lewis, Robert Fleming, Carol Weston, James Van Looy and feature Karen Friedland.

 

No comments: