Friday, May 12, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 5-10-23: Next Morning


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
Stone Soup met this Wednesday. I have...many thoughts on this particular day for reasons many of you who know me close me or even follow me on social media have deduced. Gave the reading another listen and wrote what will be the first poem or this new..era in my life. And so, here's a quick poem that wasn't really quick. Thanks for reading.


Next Morning
 
Apart, we break down like dogs.
Each heart a step no one will 
put their weight on ever again.

Roaches worship us as false idols.
Gravedance cracks exposed skulls.
Pick selves up by sticks, swat rats.

Hide behind our dead pet names.
Bodies too runty to use for meat.
Spectrums of gravity stay pressed.

Hungover from the  morning dew.
Call it karma. Someone had to do 
something for all to deserve this.


Special thanks to Edward S. Gault, Nancy Dodson, Jan Rowe, Bil Lewis, Jon Wesick, Carol Weston, Ethan Mackler, Christiana Celli and James Van Looy.

No comments: