Friday, September 22, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 9-20-23: Commuting to Eleusis


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Summer is over. Randy Barish was our official last feature of the summer. It was Randy's first ever feature, and I messed up with the Zoom link, making sure his first time, like most people's was awkward and messy. I'm glad people were still able to enjoy it, and Randy did a good job bouncing from scene to scene, season to season, in his work. 

It was an odd mixture of styles that night, and I'm not naturally a nature poet, so it was fun to put this short piece together.

Have to get back to work and promote Richard Spisak's feature this coming Wednesday.

Thanks for reading.


Commuting to Eleusis

Someday the sidewalk
will give you for choosing

this path, butterflying your
way out of tonight with your

hand puppet of a muse, 
adding colors you can't see 

in the dark. Evening blots out
your palette. Lady at the lake

says the moon looks like 
a pizza you forgot to order.

Next time bring one with you
Can't live on jasmine alone.


Special thanks to Jackie Chou, Nancy Dodson, Bil Lewis, Annette Tarpley, Robert Fleming, Bryan Franco and special feature Randy Barish.

No comments: