Friday, June 07, 2024

Stone Soup Croutons, 6-5-24: Mapping Drama


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

A simple open mic this past Wednesday. A simple recap of this reading led to this simple poem. It helped that all the open mic sets really blended together, as if they knew the order and planned in advance. 

Thanks to Jon Wesick for giving me an idea for the title in the eleventh hour of jotting this down. Id like to work on this more, but my Fridays are anything but simple now. I have to go.

Thanks for reading. 


Mapping Drama
 
People in glass houses
invite poor friends over,
dare them to wreak havoc
before you say how many
times average rent their 
domicile costs to polish.
Our biggest abusers come
with tans, glowing even 
without sun backdrop,
explain pain is customary,
always turn into ogre 
by act three. Musical 
numbers distract you from 
blood. Victims always 
die offscreen, never see
body through windshield.
Elephant in room already
mounted even if crows 
come for latest Denmark 
before paintings and cutlery
are saved. It's a journey 
you can relate to because 
we've all taken it, right? 


Special thanks to Patricia Carragon, Robert Flemming, Jan Rowe, Mary Ann Honaker, Jon Wesick, Bil Lewis, Ethan Mackler and James Van Looy.

No comments: