Friday, June 10, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 6-8-22: Cold Bodies


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

This Wednesday, Stone Soup had it's first live show in over two years, and Jim Dunn was the feature. Gloria Monaghan came with her poetry students to help fill the seats. It was a beautiful live show that had an online Zoom component that didn't work as well. Hopefully, better measures will be taken next month when The Garage Poets stop by to feature. 

As a result of so much juggling, I didn't jot as much as I wanted to from the open mic, and there was no video of the performance. Therefore, this week's Crouton is going to be very short and fragmented. Doesn't do the open mic or feature justice. I hope you're in the audience this July.

So I'm new to this live performance thing all over again. I'll get the kinks out next time. Thanks for reading. 


Cold Bodies

Yesterday's husks
hold selves up
on femur stilts,
trip up like 
clumsy flamingos,
feigning life. 

Too bony to
be bullies, they
don't have a 
China doll's chance
on streets of Boston,
let alone Chicago.

Not enough bullshit
between the lot 
to get space in 
public garden.
Stand in small pond,
avoid catching glances.

Nowhere to roost 
chicken limbs. Walk
the streets, blend like
meat to a smoothie.
Beggars and pushers
all dress better. 


Special thanks to Julliane Powers, Jan Rowe, Blackbyrd, Nancy Dodson, Chris Fitzgerald, Laurel Lambert, Jon Wesick, Carol Weston, Bil Lewis, Ethan Mackler, Erik Tate, C.C. Arshagra and James Van Looy.

No comments: