Friday, June 28, 2024

Stone Soup Croutons, 6-26-24: Holding Off


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Having written on the subject of apartments, I've been interested in Dan's work for a while. Though I "own" now, I still feel more like a renter than ever. You don't need to be in a small space to feel the walls closing in.

Especially after...last night.

All that feeds into today's poem. Of course it all does.
 
Thanks for reading. 


Holding Off
 
It's official no
buying a house
for another year.
 
Back to being
another Buddha
by the beach

and not resting
in new Jacuzzi
as own pool boy.

Only powerful 
are immune to
their poisons,
 
can burn weight 
you sit with
in hot room
 
fuming over
truth. No new
homecoming yet.
 
The South might
rise you out of
this mini-mansion.
 
Family asks you
for current address
to turn you in,
 
interrogate you 
to find black Jesus
and unwed mother,
 
sing along to 
"Guys and Dolls"
while alphabet burns.
 
Can only wait
and get haircut
every six weeks,
 
hope to keep
ahead of year's 
building burden.
 
 
Sorry you couldn't get on, Jeff.

Special thanks to Richard Spisak, Jan Rowe, Mark States, Mary Ann Honaker, Robert Fleming, Jon Wesick, Ethan Mackler, James Van Looy and special feature Dan Flore III.

No comments: